question re list

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Oct 26 13:19:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 06:31 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:33:39PM -0600, kwhiskers wrote:

> > > Since your message doesn't say anything about how you're using noauto, I
> > > can only give a general reply:
> > >
> > > In the /etc/fstab file using a "noauto" option means that it won't be
> > > automatically mounted as the computer boots up.
> > >
> > > Without trying out other options, too, you'd need to be root to manually
> > > mount such an entry. Throwing in "user" will allow a user to mount
> > > something as their own. Using "users", instead, will allow anybody to
> > > mount and dismount it. See the mount and fstab man pages.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > I have noauto in this context: pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed
> >
> > I simply copied it from the cdrecorder, cdrom and floppy lines, as they have
> > the same and also all appear under /media. Not very intelligent, but I
> > wasn't sure what else to put there, since the 'managed' threw me and I was
> > stumped when lines kept disappearing and then reappearing from fstab. I do
> > get that now, but the ones that reappear aren't the ones that disappeared, I
> > have noticed, so the system must have some overrides stored somewhere that
> > are not the same as the ones I had chosen.
> >
> > In any case, I did try auto, but with the other options, as above, but when
> > I plugged the camera in, what I had put into fstab simply disappeared and
> > the old line with noauto reappeared.
> >
> > This is not a huge problem, as I said, now that I have spent so much time on
> > it, and have seen that firstly, nobody has any answers, and secondly, all
> > the work I have done and suggestions, both here and on other websites, have
> > had me just going in circles and getting nowhere.
> >
> > I can mount manually, which is fine, I guess. I just thought that cds mount
> > themselves when inserted, so why not a camera. I am using the same fstab
> > option that cds have, and they work there.
> With my camera which uses a usb connection it is automatically mounted
> . Do not usb devices automount on your machine? auto-mounting that is
> done to a CD is not the same as auto in your fstab but is handled by
> the automounter. Look at man automount
> --

Ummm, no.  The automounter/autofs function/service is not the one
responsible for automatically mounting your CDs on a default
installation.....

Let me give a shot at this - I did not notice the original post, so
apologize if I am repeating what you already know....

When something is plugged in to a USB port, some combination of
hal/udev/hotplug will dynamically load the needed modules to support the
device.  Now one challenge is that it will set the "permissions" on the
device file based on what user is "logged in" at the time - which
sometimes throws things off if you are logged in on multiple virtual
consoles, so you may notice recommendations about manipulating udev rule
files.  In the case of a device that might be mountable, these same
scripts will add a line to your /etc/fstab - hence the "managed" option.

Now, on to automounting.  The automounting is actually a function of the
graphical environment that you are running typically.  You can control
the automounting function in Gnome by looking under
"Desktop-Preferences-Removable Drives and Media".  I have no idea where
this is hiding in KDE....

Frankly I am surprised that you are not seeing your camera be
automatically mounted, though I must admit that it does not create an
icon on my desktop like a USB memory stick does (which is a whole other
bugzilla entry).  For me, it is configured to launch gthumb to import
the pictures onto my hard drive after I insert/turn on the camera.

HTH,

--Rob