How to duplicate disk

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Oct 26 15:47:58 UTC 2005

On 26 Oct 2005 at 15:30, Paulo Roncon wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to create a exact copy of a RH9 system. This system has the following partitions: /root,
> /swap, and /.
> What I would like was to somehow create a "ghost" of the disk, so I could disconnect the original
> IDE Drive, connect the "ghost" and the system work as normal.

There are a number of ways to do this. You could use dd to copy
from one drive directory to another, or use a number of utilities.
Norton Ghost works with rh9, but doesn't handled the later FC3.
G4U and G4L use dd to upload and restore images to ftp server, or
do direct copies. Another program is udpcast, which uses multicast
to copy to a number of machines at once.

I've worked on the last two versions of g4l, and am working on a
new version with the 13.4 kernel to support some newer hardware.
The latest version on the sites is 0.16, but the new version is on my
test machine, and some users that had hardware that was beyond
the 0.16 version.

ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-0.17xx.iso

The bzImage8 is the latest kernel.

But check out the sites, and see if it meets your needs.

> If I had a LVM how would it be?
> Is there some application or way to replicate the disk, create a mirror, ghost, whatever??
>
> Thanks in advance!

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  18,335
Processing time:  32 years,  59 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes
(Total Hours: 281,758)