the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 18:33:21 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>

>>>fair enough.  but in that case, something should be tweaked to deal with
>>>this since i would still contend that a fresh install should be able to
>>>be "yum update"d without messing around with anything.
>>
>>It sounds like a request that the repositories be kept internally
>>consistent, and packaged. I agree that one should be able to update an
>>everything install right out of the box.
>

> I don't think holding a kernel update (for the "wide audience") until the
> external modules (for the "narrow audience") are ready is a good answer.
> A better answer would be to just install what you need, that way you don't
> needlessly get tripped up by "narrow audience" issues.  By choosing an
> "Everything" install you choose to get tripped up by _every_ packaging
> issue there is, whether you use those packages or not.

Umm, you apparently haven't done package management and configuration
management before. Nothing I wrote precludes release of a kernel update.
It just causes one to have to think about what packages it goes into.
One wouldn't put the new kernel into the "everything" package until all
support is available. It might go into other packages, though.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.