the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 26 18:34:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:09 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, William Hooper wrote:
>

> > Mike McCarty wrote:

> > > It sounds like a request that the repositories be kept internally
> > > consistent, and packaged. I agree that one should be able to update an
> > > everything install right out of the box.
> >
> > I don't think holding a kernel update (for the "wide audience")
> > until the external modules (for the "narrow audience") are ready is
> > a good answer. A better answer would be to just install what you
> > need, that way you don't needlessly get tripped up by "narrow
> > audience" issues.  By choosing an "Everything" install you choose to
> > get tripped up by _every_ packaging issue there is, whether you use
> > those packages or not.
>
> i don't buy that argument.  i suspect many people do an "Everything"
> install simply because:
>
> 1) disk space is cheap, and
----
agreed
----

> 2) they're not sure exactly what they want so they'll just put it all
> in to play it safe.
----
playing it safe and installing everything are mutually exclusive for
virtually any purpose. There are many reasons for this, the most obvious
is the problem of updating. Your logic is pretty much self serving and
obviously not the logic employed by fedora developers.
----

> simply put, the two operations of 1) install everything, and 2) "yum
> update" are common enough that they should just work.  we're not
> talking about obscure, rarely-used actions here.
----
and they do work - there are kinks - mostly because fedora is an edge
type distribution and you are experiencing the effects of the edges. I
suppose if you want to whine about it, then it is your right to do so.
----
> rday
>
> p.s.  i would think that, based on your position that the external
> modules are for the "narrow audience," it would make more sense to
> remove them from the basic install and make them part of "Extras."  if
> you need them, they'd be easy to find.
----
RFE's should be directed into bugzilla. This forum is to help people
with what occurs. When you want to actually impact what occurs, this
list is not suitable - just a soapbox that you can stand on and rail on
if it makes you feel better.

Craig

believed to be clean.