the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 19:00:17 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>Umm, you apparently haven't done package management and configuration
>>management before.
>

> Oh?

Yes. Operative word: "apparently".
And I stand by what I said, so far. Willing to change, mind you.

>>Nothing I wrote precludes release of a kernel update.
>

> Yes, it does.  You don't want it to go into the updates repo until the
> out-of-tree modules are ready.

No, it does not.

>>It
>>just causes one to have to think about what packages it goes into. One
>>wouldn't put the new kernel into the "everything" package until all
>>support is available. It might go into other packages, though.
>

> "Everything" is not a package, it is an install option.  Once installed
> you pull updates from the same update repo regardless of what install
> option you used.

"Everything" is a ten letter word, whereas everything is all that there
is. There is a reason I put it into quotes.

Apparently, you and I have a difference of opinion about what should
drive packaging...

I believe the convenience of users should drive it.
You seem to believe that the convenience of the packagers should
drive it.

You used the fancy noun "the repo". I did not use that noun. I
referred to packages and configuration management. So far, I have
not seen any, repeat any package management or configuration
management in FC, beyond management of the releases themselves into
e.g. FC1, FC2, etc.

That is why there is no "everything" package. There is no package
at all, just a repository.

Not interested in getting into fights, arguments, or flame wars.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.