the proper way to "yum update" a new "everything" install of FC4?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200510 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Oct 26 19:17:11 UTC 2005

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> writes:
>   i just installed a new FC4 system -- an "everything" install -- and
> it can't be just plain "yum update"d because of some dependency
> issues.
>
>   the errors are that the four kernel packages
> {gnbd,GFS,cman,dlm}-kernel claim to need
> /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.

I had the same problem with an older "everything" install and a "yum
update" on monday.  The machine had been down for a month or two with
a power supply problem and had a lot of catching up to do.  In
addition to the above deadlock, there seemed to have been two kernels
that yum wanted to update and I foolishly did a "yum install" of the
second one figuring that the install would force a resolution of the
GFS,cman,dlm dependencies.  Well it did, sort of.  When yum tried to
install the first kernel it balked because it was older than the most
recent kernel.  Well duh.  A few rpm deinstalls later of all
aforementioned kernels, cman, dlm's etc. and things seemed to be back
on track.  In the process yum decided that it needed to down load all
218 rpm's a second time.  Yikes.

Clearly the "flail factor" was high.  I had no idea what the official
way to get on track was, or why yum choked like that.

It would be nice if there were some fedora page at a well-known
location that had information for how to recover from these types of
yum update problems as they develop.

-wolfgang