the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 19:34:44 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>Apparently, you and I have a difference of opinion about what should
>>drive packaging...
>>
>>I believe the convenience of users should drive it.
>>You seem to believe that the convenience of the packagers should
>>drive it.
>

> No, I believe getting out an updated kernel (which everyone uses)
> shouldn't have to wait on out-of-tree modules (which not a lot of people
> use).  You can play word games all day, but if you want to make the
> updates completely consistent you have to wait on the minority so that the
> majority can get an updated kernel.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that a kernel release be delayed
for any reason. Certainly I have not.

Making updates be completely consistent is a matter of creating
packages, and releasing to packages in a way which keeps them
consistent. Currently there is no package. One package could be
a kernel-only package which only included the kernel and the
things it depends upon. This package could get all updates to
the kernel as soon as they existed. It could filter out into
other packages as they became able consistently to accept it.

If you wish to discuss this further, I think it might be better
if we did so off-list, as this is beginning to stray pretty far
from Fedora Core, which doesn't have packages or configuration
management (beyond releases, that is).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.