Backup solutions?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 27 04:20:08 UTC 2005

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> GAH:  Disregard my reponse regarding using dump
> and restore.  I found a link stating that use of
> these programs are not recommended per response
> from Linus Torvalds himself.
>
> Here is the reference:
> http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/rhl9/rhl-sap-en-9/s1-disaster-rhlspec.php3
>
> Dan

There are three commonly used programs to do backup/restore.
Most others are built on top of one or another of these

	dump/restore
	tar
	cpio

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Each has a following.
Each of the followings has members who are fanatic adherents.
Each of the adherents thinks that the drawbacks to the
other two means are absolutely and completely irrefutable,
and complete demolishing.

So there are three camps. Each camp thinks that the other
two camps are *WRONG* because there are situations which
they can't deal with properly.

Unfortunately, all three camps are right. Each of the methods
has something it handles badly, if at all.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.