the proper way to 'yum update' a new 'everything' install of FC4?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:31:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 23:27, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > I'd rather not.  I've been through enough "here's my Utopian view of how
> > things should work" discussions.  They all boil down to: the current
>
> I dunno about "utopian". I'm talking about supporting real working
> long-distance telephony switches which are allowed to have no more
> than 5 minutes unscheduled down time per year. Which I was able to
> achieve. If that's not practical, then I guess I don't know what is.

Before you pat yourself on the back too many times, spend a
moment thinking about how your code updates would have
fared if they had been allowed to be installed (a) by people
with no training and (b) onto any kind of hardware from
any vendor, most of which the engineers had never seen.

My guess is that regardless of your methodology, you'd do
no better than the fedora approach under real-world PC
conditions.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com