FC4: tape ide problem

Dario Lesca d.lesca at solinos.it
Thu Oct 27 07:57:03 UTC 2005

Hi, I have upgrade a server with a SONY IDE TAPE from RedHat 7.3 (kernel
2.4.*) to FC4 (kernel 2.6.13-*) and the ide tape not work.

I have load the ide-scsi module (via grub with hdd=ide-scsi) and I use
the /dev/st0 device.

When the modules is load the tape is detect.
The 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' works.
The 'tar tvf /dev/st0' works (with a old tape, write from rh7.3).
The 'tar cvf /dev/st0 /etc' DOES NOT WORK, the command seems to be
stopped and tape not work

Is this a common issue?
I must pass some parameter to ide-scsi modules?

Now I have install FC1 in order to use the ide tape ... and the tape
work properly.

Please tell me some suggest.

Many thanks.
--