Best VPN server to use on Fedora

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Oct 27 15:11:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:28 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

	:

> > Leonard Isham, CISSP
> > Ostendo non ostento.
> >
> > Not trying to doubt your word, but can you point me towards
> > articles to prove the built in VPN to be less than desirable?
> >
> > I have to be able to prove my case to my users that the
> > installation of "another" client is required......
> >
> > Thanks.

> What your interested in is poptop.  Their website has a better
> description as to why not to use it:

	If you are only dealing with XP (no Win2K or earlier) then you don't
need PopTop.  Windows XP supports IPSec NAT-T natively for its VPN, you
don't need PPTP/L2TP.

> http://poptop.sourceforge.net/dox/protocol-security.phtml

	If you've got an installed based of PPTP, then you got what you got and
you gotta deal.  But if you don't already have an installed base of PPTP
then I would avoid that sucker like the plague.  XP doesn't need PPTP
and I even think IPSec is available for Win2K (just not natively
supported OOB).

> 	-Mike

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/