FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:26:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 10:24, William Hooper wrote:

> > The install environment wouldn't change.  It would still have the same
> > packages as the original installer did.  This would only change if for some
> > reason a package was split.
>
> If the install environment won't change, then you can't use an updated
> kernel or X during the install, let alone an updated version of Anaconda.
> That means most (if not all) of the install bugs won't be fixed.  What was
> the point of creating new ISOs again?

Those things could change if the bugs were bad enough or anyone cared
about the user's results (call it the 'fedora experience). But the
main point of the new ISOs would be to avoid most of the update
downloads on every new install - recently reported at 899 megs/machine,
I think.  Is that a good first impression?  And, it would fix any
runtime problems that affect the ability to get to a point where you are
able to complete that update like the recently mentioned X issue.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com