FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:48:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 15:19, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>   b) After the second time I re-installed from scratch, grub
>      came up find with the splash screen and all that, but then
>      when I came to figuring out how to modify grub to boot runlevel
>      3, it was (and still is) not possible to me to figure out this
>      step.  Please reply and tell me how this one is done please
>      so that I know how?  Of course this would be the easiest place
>      to get into runlevel 3 and yum update and my problems could have
>      been MUCH easier.

At the grub splash screen, hit any key within 5 seconds or so.
If you need to choose a non-default boot entry, move to it with
the arrow keys.  Hit 'e' to edit.
Highlight the kernel line with the arrow key, hit 'e' to edit.
Add the runlevel you want (or any other kernel arguments to the line
and hit enter.  (You can use '3' for multiuser text mode or 'single'
to keep a lot of other stuff from starting)  Hit 'b' to boot.

>   f) Now, you are "in" the environment (whatever it is), and you may think that
>      you are in single user mode but you have networking active.... so... you
>      may think that you can yum update here.... right?
>
>      Well... *some* files do yum install - but others that as it seems to me
>      mostly the ones with library installations appear to send out error messages
>      that the scriptlets are failing and messages in the errors shows the %prenum,
>      %postnum type messages.
>
> Hope this helps....

Hmmm, maybe you just need root's normal login environment. I wonder if
doing an 'su - ' after the chroot would set it up right.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com