FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Oct 28 22:13:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 02:28:55PM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
> Sorry if that is lost in the communication.
>
> In general, the idea is to have an ISO that has a pretty recent set of
> patches and updates on it.  As others have posted, there is almost a
> gig of updates to perform after a new install at this time.  I don't
> know about you but for me that is a pain.
>
> Think of this as a way to make Linux easier for those newbs that don't
> understand.
>
> A simple question is;
>
> How hard is it to make an ISO that only changes the versions of the
> packages included?  Keep it simple.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

Fedora is a free distribution. Does anyone know of a operating system
you pay for that releases updated media for each set of updates.
Now I agree that if you are downloading updates over a dial-up then
that is a problem. But over a high speed line you just start the
update and go to sleep or go have a dinner or go read up a book, etc.
There is also a cron job that does updates automatically so you can
do it while you sleep continually without worrying about it.

I think people seem to want a lot for no money down.

The next person to mention spaghetti stacks to me is going to have
his head knocked off.
		-- Bill Conrad
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science