SmartLink Modem Family Woes (Snap Snap)

Lane Hill rpclocke at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:06:17 UTC 2005

I bought a Creative ModemBlaster USB DE5671 recently, due to me getting
troubles with getting a working modem for Fedora 4 (so far I've tried 5
different ones, and this is the first external I tried). Of course, Fedora
doesn't recognize it offhand, so I did some research. It uses a chipset
that's in the same Family as the SmartLink SmartUSB56 (or something or
another). The greater news is that SmartLink has a driver available!

So, first I tried to make an rpm out of the tar.gz file. According to the
terminal, rpm -ta is not a real command, although that's what the readme
says to type.

So, I decided to try to do the MakeFile instructions. However, this was
unsuccessful, due to a static declaration of "sregs_init" bieng followed by
a nonstatic declaration, and then there was a previous declaration elsewhere
in the file "modem.c"

Having some C/C++ expierence, I tried to fix this, but it wouldn't work.

So, I tried going out and finding some of RPMs on the internet. I did, and
apparantly it required the kernel package, which I'm pretty sure I am,
considering Fedora can't really work without it.

So, I'm completely lost, confused and a bit pissed off due to the fact that
all I want to do is use this computer (I'm using my mom's currently) for
school, yet I have to live with crappy 56k, and that no modem I've tried
worked successfully with Fedora.

All I'm asking is this: Can someone pinpoint to me a good RPM to use for
this modem, or can someone recommend a good modem (internal or external)
that can work flawlessly or near flawlessly with Fedora?