How to test NIC performance?

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Sat Oct 29 18:26:44 UTC 2005

Hi

What exactly do you mean with high latency?  Do you mean that it takes a long
time to connect (anywhere)?

There are a few precautions to follow with gigabit ethernet.

1. Only use CAT-5 cables.
2. To obtain highest possible speed on the LAN, use a Gigabit
switch/hub/router
3. Make sure speed autonegociation is turned on.

giving the blame to your nic is easy but 8 times out of ten it's not the
culprit.

Other devices on your network may be transmitting (broadcasting) a lot of
giberish.

Use network scan tools to find out what is happening, also check your messages
log.

Do a service network restart and then tail /var/log/messages -n 20 and see at
what speed it came on

Another thing you might want to check is how fast your dns server is
responding.  It is not unusual for "shady" providers to have quite a bit of
lag on their dns servers. try pinging the ip address of one of the dns
servers; look in /etc/resolv.conf for the addresses

Tools like netstat and ethereal are your friend as well.

HTH

Andy

--
Now listening to Top! Radio Live www.topradio.be/stream on amaroK