Linux killer!

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 18:47:41 UTC 2005

--- malcolm <malcolm at interele.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I work in a school and we are thinking about Linux
> I put some test machines out - Fedora, Suse and
> Ubuntu
> The view of the students was Fedora was the best
> ..great so far
> Then we did the KDE v Gnome thing - Gnome won ...
> even better
> Then I asked the question  - so what do you think of
> Linux ?
> 'It sucks ! ' was the almost universal response (
> students aged 11 to 18 )
> Why I asked .. It never falls over, XP dies all the
> time ... true they said
> OO is just like Office to use and doesn't munge up
> documents .. also
> true they said
> It will save the school £20000 per year, so why does
> it suck
>
> Because we can't watch Yahoo music videos   and that
> was it - Ok I did
> point out that
> they weren't suppose to be watching them at all
> really but that doesn't
> cut much ice with
> teenagers. So the problem is this - I am never going
> to get this off the
> ground if I don't have
> the support of the kids. Windows Media is my Linux
> killer - Codeweavers
> are OK but
> only support WMP 6.4 - I've never got gxine to work
> properly and the
> Linux version of Real Player
> won't do the 'universal player' trick that the
> Windows one does.
>
> Even the most angst ridden teenager admitted that
> 99% of Linux was
> better than the Windows
> equivalent but not one of them wanted to use it
> simply because of the
> lack of Windows Media plugins
>
> Help .... please !

> --

Install MPlayer, grab all the codecs & install them
and also install MPlayer plugin and voila you can
watch Yahoo Movie Previews.

But you mention Yahoo Music Videos, that is another
animal.  I have the same problem too!   I have tried
to find a solution but usually firefox bails out.  I
told the students that the network firewal blocks the
videos, but they caught me because they do play in
windows.  Hope someone can help you!  I have even
tried to fool Yahoo Music Video webpage by using "User
Agent Switcher" in Interent Explorer mode, but firefox
just bails off.

Best Regards,

Antonio