How to test NIC performance?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 30 08:46:27 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters

>> Another thing you might want to check is how fast your dns server is
>> responding.  It is not unusual for "shady" providers to have quite a
>> bit of lag on their dns servers. try pinging the ip address of one of
>> the dns servers; look in /etc/resolv.conf for the addresses

Dan Hensley:

> Unfortunately my dns servers don't respond to ping.

Try the "dig" tool on a domain name.  It also reports the time taken.

I'm wondering whether you'd benefit from running your own DNS server, if
your ISP's were slow?  It is an advantage in my case, but you'd, first,
need to determine whether this was the cause of your problems.

I read messages from the public lists.