USB modem install on FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 30 12:31:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:17 +0100, Jean François Ortolo wrote:

>   I've some difficulties to setup an USB analog modem, Hayes compatible.

Is it really?  Or does it pretend to be when it's running on Windows?

i.e. Is it really a software modem?  Where there's a small amount of
audio hardware in the box, and all the modem work is done in software.

>   Whenever the modem is being switched to USB, the right modules are
> being charged ( generic-ppp, etc... ), however, when I try to setup the
> new modem device as root with the menu "Desktop" -> "System Settings" ->
> "Network", the only listed serial interfaces are classic serial
> interfaces, no USB interface, unless I'm wrong.
>
>   All the listed interface are: modem ( There is no /dev/modem device in
> the /dev directory ), ttyS0, 1, etc, ttyl0, 1, etc,
> input/tty-something_I_don't_recall, ttyM0, 1, etc, and ttyACM0, 1, etc.
>
>   I presume all these interfaces are purely serial, not USB, so I can't
> setup my modem, such that it could be accessible by the machine.

I think it'd have to be some USB device (with usb in the name,
somewhere).  Though I don't think you're going to get one by default, I
think you'd have to manually arrange for there to be one.

>   I tried "modem" ( which gives me error 2 after an "ifup <device>",
> then "ttyS0", which gives me error 6 ( unsuccessful locking attempt ).

"modem" will only work if you've set up a modem device (a link pointing
to whatever device it's attached to (e.g. ttyS0 for the first RS232
style serial port).  Naturally, "ttyS0" will only work for something
actually connected to it.

>   The fact is, the /dev/modem doesn't exist at all, which is something I
> don't understand.

Thanks to "udev" /dev doesn't work in the way it used to.  Now, what's
created in there is done at bootup, and what you create manually gets
lost each reboot.  The same thing goes for what other tools make in
there (e.g. the neat tool used to configure networks works the first
time, then not again).

Now, I have the following line in my /etc/rc.local file to ensure
there's always a /dev/modem on my system:

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

I haven't fathomed out a way to make udev do it for me.

I read messages from the public lists.