FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Sun Oct 30 16:35:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 11:09:50PM +1030, David Abbott wrote:
> It's not a necessity but would be way cool if i can get over these
> hurdles.  I've had the main Linux tech guy give my machine a quick
> workout with the various Nvidia installers (pretty much trying all
> the stuff i'd already tried) and he had no joy.  I can get the
> computer to boot o.k but only using the default driver.

What is the problem you're having when you install the driver?
If we knew that, we might be able to help more, but I don't recall
seeing  any mention of it in your previous e-mail (at least I don't
think I did)...  :)

As I just mentioned in another mail, one specific combination of the
driver and Fedora kernel was crashing my system.  It may well be the
most recent one, and you might be running into the same problem...  I
was able to solve it by using an older driver.

Livna has some "legacy" drivers, e.g.:

  kernel-module-nvidia-legacy-2.6.12-1.1380_FC3-1.0.7174-0.lvn.1.3
  nvidia-glx-legacy-1.0.7174-0.lvn.1.3

You might try using yum to install one of these specifically, rather
than installing the latest (make sure to use a driver for FC4 if that
is what you're using)...  You can find out what versions are available
from Livna (if you have their repositories set up in your yum.conf)
using this:

  # yum search kernel-module-nvidia-legacy nvidia-glx-legacy

HTH

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/