OT: LifeDrive

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 23:19:02 UTC 2005

On 9/2/05, Robert Bell <robert at thebellfamily.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried the new Palm LifeDrive with linux?
>
> I'm curious if
> a) it syncs

I haven't had any luck with that so far... pilot-link crashes. I haven't put
much effort into fixing it yet.

b)bluetooth works

I can receive files sent from the Palm, and do network sharing (although
that's not very useful since I use WiFi most of the time, but it was useful
with my T3). I have a very brief HOWTO on getting network sharing working
with Bluetooth on my site (see my sig).

 c)file transfer works

Depends what you mean by file transfer. If you mean using the LifeDrive like
an external hard drive, then yes. Just connect it, put the LD into drive
mode, and it should be automatically mounted as /media/LIFEDRIVE. If it
doesn't mount automatically, check the output of /var/log/messages when you
enter drive mode, that should give you some hints.

d) installing palm apps works

Again, that depends. Some apps need to be installed as part of HotSync in
order to hook into the OS. Those won't work unless you can get pilot-link
working. Otherwise, you can just copy the apps to the LD in drive mode and
then move them into main memory on the LD, or run them from the LD.

Ben Steeves _ bcs at metacon.ca
The ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) ben.steeves at gmail.com
against HTML e-mail X GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs / \ Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves