Two display anomalies

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Sep 7 02:28:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Peter Arremann wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 20:58, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> (2)
>> Video card: ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 in an IBM Thinkpad T41.
>> Driver: radeon
>> Kernel: kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
>> Kernel option: video=radeonfb
>> X: xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
>> Symptom: When I use the VGA-out jack to connect to an overhead projector
>> or external monitor, the projector image ripples slowly, as though (very
>> narrow) waves are passing over it.
> Have you checked your cable you're using? We had exactly the same issue with a
> dell 3200MP projector on omnibooks 6100s... Ended up being the cheap generic
> replacement cable we had bought...

Good thought, but happens with multipe cables, including one attached to a
halfway decent external VGA monitor that hasn't shown any other signs of
trouble.  Also, back in FC2/3 days, I could both see and not see the
problem with the same cable and different kernels.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences