Programming the shutdown time

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 1 06:47:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 18:26 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:19 -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
> > On 8/31/05, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         On 8/31/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >                 Dear All
> >
> >                 I am looking for the best way of programming the
> >                 (automatic) shutdown
> >                 time of  my computer. Any ideas?
> >
> >                 Thanks in advance,
> >

> >         man cron
> >
> >         if you want it to happen at regular intervals, or
> >
> >         man at
> >
> >         if you want it to happen once, at a specific time.
> >
> > and I should have added, I don't think it's a great idea to do it in
> > cron, especially if you're also running anacron. I don't really have
> > any experience with this, though.
>
> anacron would have no affect on getting a clean shutdown. It is called
> by cron in the daily, weekly, and monthly processing but has nothing to
> do with shutting down.

It might if you're using cron to shut the machine down.

> To automate a shutdown cron is the best place if you intend to have it
> shutdown at the same time every (day, week, etc).  If you want it to be
> a little more flexible then a script with some intelligence can be
> called by cron to control it.

Anacron will try to run cron jobs that were missed whilst a machine was
down. So if you have your machine set to shut down using a cron.daily
entry, and you were away for the weekend and didn't power up the
machine, anacron would see to it that jobs from cron.daily that had been
"missed" were run shortly after the next reboot. You probably don't want
a shutdown to happen then.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>