system-config-display won't accept root password at boot

FC4-i386, latest updates.

When I upgrade my kernel and reboot, the system attempts to run system-config-display during startup, and this prompts for the root password. I type that in but it's apparently not recognized, as I just get another prompt. After 3 failures, the system boots normally. I think this happening during the udev initialization.

I'm using the latest nVidia driver for my 6800GT.