Fubar'd grub installing Debian Sarge

I tried installing debian to a second hard drive, not letting it touch my FC4 install except when it came to grub install, I let it modify the grub installation (silly me) that took me a while to get going right in FC4! Now I get an error 17, and am trying to setup grub again using Knoppix 4 DVD, so far so good, gonna test it shortly.

The point of this message: I installed debian to the second Hd (/dev/hdd1, I've also 2 SCSI RAID 0 disks which in FC are 1 & 2 = md0), should I mark the partition that I installed debian to as active / bootable as this partition contains the Debian /boot ? I didn't split up the install to numerous partitions, just one for simplicity (Ya Right).