Re: RHN subscription

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 07:25 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 15:40 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 03:39 +0930, Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:25 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

If you want to check for updates, try "yum check-update" instead.

Which takes several minutes to complete (fetch new information, and parse local files, etc.). Yet RHN would let you know in a few seconds that there were some updates, and would only go through the long process of working out what, *if* you wanted to follow it up.

I miss that aspect of RHN.

The RHN alert icon is on the panel for me by default. All it takes is a few seconds to configure it and it works to do exactly what you suggest.

Except in FC4 the applet doesn't work with the default repos (repomd format) and the only way of getting it to work (i.e. to tell you when there are updates available without actually running up2date) is by rolling your own repos with old-fashioned metadata. If you know of a way to actually make it work, please let us know!

Paul.

Now I am really puzzled.  I 'know' that it was working for me at some
time in the past on FC4.  Because of this thread I just checked the icon
again and found that in fact it is not working now.  Either I am
misremembering, or it did work and now does not.  More research
required,  Drat!

You might want to check out:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/160873
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-July/msg02190.html