Image of Fedora root partition

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Sep 2 21:36:22 UTC 2005

Date sent:      	Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	CHAT KHODA <chatkhoda at yahoo.com>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	Image of Fedora root partition
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> Hi friends,
> I am looking for an application to back up my server's
> hard disk in image files.(FC4)
> What is teh best solution that you experience?

Both G4U and G4L work to make images of your hard
drive/partitions by using dd, compression, and ftp. Both copy all
sectors, so you want to clear unused sectors before making the
image.

Additionally, one could also do it manually using the same
commands without G4U or G4L, but it is easier using these utilities.
There are also other solutions to backup the systems as file based
backup, instead of a full image.