installing on USB hard disk

my system has several internal disks which are all formatted as NTFS. i have an external USB2 disk that i could use for fedora, if i can figure out how to boot it. my motherboard/bios is too old to boot directly off of a USB disk. can i use some sort of boot CD or bootmanager to start fedora from an external drive? how would i achieve this?

let me know, thanks.
-jsd-