Problem with playing a certain video dvd

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:50:51 UTC 2005

On 9/4/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to play a video dvd but I get the following errors:
>
> with kaffeine,
>
> "The source can't be read.
> Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain
> data (e.g: not disc in drive). (Error reading NAV packet.)";
>
> and with totem,
>
> "The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you trying to play an
> encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?".
>
> However, I have libdvdcss installed. Any ideas?

I think I have found a clue of what may be occurring:

xine dvd://
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.4.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc1 mounted on / for CSS
authentication
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/hdc1 with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdc1 for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/hdc1 inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access

My DVD player is assigned to /dev/hdd. Since libdvdread is trying to
open /dev/hdc1 for reading, the problem is caused, as it should try to
open /dev/hdd1. How can I repair this?

Paul