Another CUPS rant.-a little overboard

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Sep 5 13:55:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 08:45:14AM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 08:01:10AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> > Again an obvious point that can't be overlooked. You can't use the
> > straight CUPS interface to configure printers if you don't have
> > printer drivers available. system-config-printer has legacy drivers
> > left over from its older incarnations so that program succeeds in
> > configuring the Canon BJ-200.
>
> No, this isn't really fair.  They are not "legacy drivers" -- these
> come from foomatic's database.
>
> The thing that system-config-printer provides that the CUPS web
> interface is foomatic integration, and this allows automatic (i.e. no
> user intervention) set-up of locally-connection printers for local
> use.
>
> I have been saying for quite a while now that system-config-printer
> needs re-writing so that it configures CUPS in a way that
> inter-operates with CUPS' own web interface.  Someone needs to do some
> designing.
>
> Tim.
> */
I agree with what you say above completely. I even agree that foomatic
is a better word than legacy. What you are suggested would eliminate
the frustration I feel that led to the rant.

"Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time."
-- a coffee cup
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University