Scanner Support

When I try to acquire an image with the GIMP, my scanner starts making a terrible buzzing/grinding noise and the GIMP only acquires static. The scanning head is unlocked, and I haven't had any problems with the scanner on Windows, so I'm confused as to why I'm experiencing this problem. I have a Canon Canoscan N676U flatbed scanner, which is listed at http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html as being supported by the Plustek Sane backend. My Sane version is 1.0.15 and I'm using all the default settings in Fedora Core 4.

Does this sound like a Sane/Plustek problem, or is my scanner somehow damaged? I just plugged the scanner into a Windows machine and was able to use it without any problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris Spencer