Scanner Support

Philip Moller phmo at punkt.se
Tue Sep 6 00:41:33 UTC 2005

Chris Spencer wrote:

> When I try to acquire an image with the GIMP, my scanner starts making
> a terrible buzzing/grinding noise and the GIMP only acquires static.
> The scanning head is unlocked, and I haven't had any problems with the
> scanner on Windows, so I'm confused as to why I'm experiencing this
> problem. I have a Canon Canoscan N676U flatbed scanner, which is
> listed at http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html as being
> supported by the Plustek Sane backend. My Sane version is 1.0.15 and
> I'm using all the default settings in Fedora Core 4.
>
> Does this sound like a Sane/Plustek problem, or is my scanner somehow
> damaged? I just plugged the scanner into a Windows machine and was
> able to use it without any problems.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Chris Spencer

Your Canoscan N676U is supported by sane according to this site:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

Have you tried the scanner with the linuxprogram kooka ?
http://freshmeat.net/projects/kooka/

I have a Canoscan LIDE 20 and is working perfectly with fc4 on my machine.
I plugged the scanner in my usb and used kooka to scan and that worked
very well for me.
I didn't need to tweak any config for it to work, it worked direct after
pluggin.
I have no problem with the backend plustek
http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek/