FOLLOW-UP: RAID-1 (mirroring) disk failed; now what? [failed]

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Sep 6 11:21:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:32:21AM +0100, Will Partain wrote:
> In a previous message, I asked "But now what?", and set out some
> specific worries.  I have now changed the disk -- no, it didn't go
> particular well :-) -- and this message is to fill in what I've
> learned.  *Thank you* to Bill Rugolsky for chipping in with some
> ideas; had I understood them correctly, I might've done better :-(

For the archive: I recently (last week) had an incident with FC3 where a kernel
upgrade rendered the machine unbootable.  The problem aparrently is a
bug in grub where it is too stupid to figure out what BIOS drives
correspond to /dev/md0 and it will ignore attempts to use /dev/sda
instead; so instead of leaving the configuration alone, it merely
makes the system completely unusable.

Solution:

 http://xdroop.dhs.org/space/Linux/Grub+won%27t+install+to+raid-1

This bug has aparrently been with us since 7.3 (snarky observation deleted).

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: