private network

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 13:59:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 08:51, Vijay A Raghavan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 FC-4 machines each having 2 lan ports. One
> port from each machine is hooked up to the internet. I
> am wordering how to set up a private network between
> the two machines using the second lan port.
>
> Thanks,

Two ways, use a cross over cable between the two systems, manually
configure IP addresses on each interface using a subnet defined in RFC
1918 that does not match the subnet used for the Internet side
connection.

Or you can use a switch to connect those interfaces to.  You will still
need to manually configure the interfaces using a  unique subnet.

Will probably want to populate the /etc/hosts file on each system to
specify the private address and associate that with a system name that
you can use to transfer data over the private network.

Do these systems use a common Internet connection through a router?  If
so they can communicate over that router through the currently active
interfaces.