batch convert mp3 to ogg

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 6 15:27:40 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>There is an interesting comment about oggenc will only work with wav files.
>>
>>From the man page.
>>"oggenc reads audio data in either raw, WAV, or AIFF format and  encodes
>>it  into  an  Ogg  Vorbis stream."
>>
>>This would imply that to go from mp3 to ogg, you will have to convert
>>the file to a wav, raw or AIFF.  Then create the ogg file.  Again, each
>>process has the risk of creating more distortion.
>

> Er: no.
>
> Both FLAC and wav [1] are lossless compression formats. You can go from
> one to the other to the raw data all day without losing anything[2] or
> creating any distortion[3]. That's the point of FLAC: it stores
> *everything* in a relatively small amount of disk-space.
>
> You can also go from MP3 or ogg to wav without losing any more data.
> (You lost some when you created the MP3 or ogg in the first place:
> that's still gone, of course).
>
> So (if you're using a fixed-width font...):
> FLAC ------------> wav -----------> ogg
>      no data loss       data loss
>
> MP3 (some data   -----------------> wav ---------------> ogg
> already lost)    no data loss here       more data loss
>
> The data loss involved with going to ogg (or MP3) has to do with the
> output format, not the input.

I do stand partly corrected.  I don't like admitting I am wrong. :)

The point is if you have mp3's, you are best to just leave then alone to
retain the best quality possible in the mp3.

FWIW, I rip to flac as it is lossless.  Now to get a flac codec on my
mp3 player.  I also won't purchase online unless it is in a lossless
format as many mp3's I have heard sound like crap.  Which I agree is
associated to the encoding.

Thinking about this, I remember the argument about CD's losing sonic
quality over LP's.  Now we are going another step with losing quality by
using mp3's.

--
Robin Laing