LVM Suggestions

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:14:41 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Mark Sargent <powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> am wondering, how best to manage a 40GB drive with LVM. System has 192MB
> of RAM. At present, I see Hard Drives /dev/hda Free equalling 32254.
> This' my 1st time to do things manually(only way to learn). I have a
> basic understanding of LVM, but was wondering how others set their
> systems up. What's the minimum PV for the swap and boot volumes.? Should
> I break the drive up into smaller, easier managed volumes.? Cheers.

I'm not going to be the best person to answer your question ultimately, but
I know that the answer will depend upon what the machine is meant to do. Is
this a desktop/web server/file server/etc?

For what it's worth, I think swap should equal RAM, and boot should be about
100Mb. For the rest, I just guess.