adduser problem in FC-3

Balchand N balchand at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:53:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

Quite some time back, I had posted on this group regarding a problem
where if I try to add an user to the system, it would not permit me to
do that saying "no access to passwd file". I could not get a solution
then. Whereas, I followed the advise from Dan as below, it worked.
Thanks to Dan and here is the solution

Hello, Bala.

I just got your thread about the useradd problem showing the message
"useradd: cannot rewrite password files" you were facing and I got the
same problem.
Now I have found the solution so I wanted to let you know about it.

This problem probably comes from the fact that you have SElinux
enabled and something is mixed up there. The best is to simply disable
SElinux like this:
Change the tag SELINUX to disabled in the /etc/sysconfig/selinux file
and reboot your system and it should be OK.
Remember: if you are facing strange and never seen linux behaviours in
the filesystem like reading/writing or execution, it is probably due
to SElinux which is enabled and mixed up. Either you find out how to
allow your particular file to be accessed from the proper user/context
or you just disable it.

Please do me a favor: post this answer in the same thread than you
have posted it before on the fedora-list and also please tell me how
to post there. I had several answers to questions but was not able to
answer so it's a shame.

Kind regards,
Daniel