Re: Invalid user name: starting with a digit

Vidol Loeung wrote:
Hi All:

Is there a way to create a new user with name starting with a digit?

TIA for any inputs.

Vidol

This may not be the best solution, but it works: create the user without the digit in the beginning, and it will be registered and its home created. Then move the home from, for example, 'gene' to '2gene'. Then edit /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, and /etc/gshadow, each time replacing the 'gene'/groupname (which should be the first column) with the new name '2gene'.

If you have questions, just ask me (I had to do this for a user in my setup).

Justin Willmert