Invalid user name: starting with a digit

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 02:04:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 20:31, Vidol Loeung wrote:

> Is there an option some where that we can set so that the useradd command
> would accept user names starting with a digit.
>
> I never used Debian, but as I googled around, there is an option
> '--force-badname' in Debian's useradd command. They can even modify the
> Regular Expression validation rule for user names such as
> '^[a-z][0-9a-z]*$'.
>
> I wonder if we could have the same on Fedora Core.

If I did something like that I'd forever live in fear that
a needed utility would mis-parse the user name as a
uid number and do something horrible.  Chown/chgrp
_might_ be smart enough these days to tell the difference
but I wouldn't count on it always working with every
program that you might use.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com