Experienced package builders: please test my first RPM

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 8 07:17:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 14:00 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:

> >> No.  I can make a key.  I don't know if I have a public server.  I take it
> >> it's not just a matter of putting my ascii key file on my web site?
> >
> >Do that too.
> >
> >To put your key on a public keyserver, first configure GPG to use a
> >keyserver. I put the line:
> >
> >keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
> >
> >in my ~/.gnupg/options or ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file (the two files are
> >basically equivalent, and the one you have will depend on the version of
> >gnupg installed when you first used it).
> >
> >Then use the --send-keys option of gpg to upload your key (see "man
> >gpg").
>
> OK, I've made and published a key and put signed packages and the key up,
> with the spec file changes you suggested

Got your key from the server OK.

>  (except for including the GPL --
> that seems overkill, as the man package itself doesn't seem to include it).

Yet you still say in your copyright notice:

# You may distribute under the terms of the GNU General Public
# License as specified in the README file that comes with the man
# distribution.

Since neither the README nor the text of the GPL are actually included
in the Fedora "man" package, I would again advocate including the text
of the GPL in your tarball (and also get rid of the editor backup file
in there).

> I've also run rpmlint on the package (it complains about the 2 sourced
> scripts, but what can one do).  Could you please take one more look, and
> see if I've done this right?

If you really want to shut rpmlint up, you can add shellbangs to the top
of the script files:

cat >apropos2.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash

# Use apropos2 in preference to apropos
alias apropos=%{_bindir}/apropos2
EOF

cat >apropos2.csh <<EOF
#!/bin/csh

# Use apropos2 in preference to apropos
alias apropos %{_bindir}/apropos2
EOF

I wouldn't worry about it though.

One other minor cosmetic issue. I see you use 4-space tab stops in your
editor. Since I use 8-space tab stops, the tab-aligned tags at the top
of the spec file aren't all aligned in my editor. Replacing the tabs
with spaces would fix that if you were striving for aesthetic
perfection :-)

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>