Re: How to diagnose system freezes?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:43:25 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

   On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:40:27 -0400, Steve Parker wrote:

Hi,

I'm running FC4 (with all updates) and I'm frequently experiencing total system freezes (i.e. my only option is to reset). I highly suspect this has to do with a third-party kernel module (Contivity VPN client v3.3 from Apani) as it seems to occur only when the VPN connection is active - even though the modules are always loaded.

With no errors/messages in any of the system logs following a freeze (crash, lockup, insert-your-favorite-word-here), how does one go about diagnosing a problem like this? It seems to be a common problem for many people (at least on fedoraforum.org). Anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth submitting a bug to bugzilla if the Contivity modules are suspected?

For starters: look into enabling System Request keys, and see
whether you can get a reaction. Also keep running the machine with
the screen displaying the primary virtual console to see whether
anything is logged there. -- Michael Schwendt <mschwendt users sf net>

Well, I've gotten the System Request keys enabled (thanks Michael, cool feature!) but, so far, the only resolution action that seems to respond is (b)oot; sync and re-mount as read-only don't seem to function. I can also do memory dumps and task lists but I don't know what I should be looking for. Any hints? Any other tracing actions I can take? Thanks again, Steve