Socket problem in Fedora Core 2

Hi,

My setup: Fedora Core 2 with 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp kernel.

I'm currently developing a simulator for load testing
which needs to handle around 40-50K connections. A mixture of TCP and UDP.

I changed the amount of file descriptors to 64000
with ulimit -n 64000 as root.

But when I run and reach around 27000 TCP connections
my application stops and dmesg writes the following:

"out of socket memory" several times.

I wonder what is the problem and how it can be fixed. Didn't have any luck at the mail archive or google.

Any help appreciated.

Br,
/Andreas