Re: xntpd sendto (possible hack?)

Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
Hello all,

I just installed a logwatch on my machine and ran it for the first time just a few minutes ago. It showed me something very interesting and it was the only thing in the logwatch log. Just a bunch of the same entries. The IP address varied but most of them looked like invalid arguments except for about 3 of them that didn't. See below:

**Unmatched Entries**
sendto(80.190.233.67): Invalid argument
synchronized to 80.190.233.67, stratum 2
synchronized to 80.33.117.152, stratum 3
sendto(80.190.233.67): Invalid argument

Does anyone know what this means or can this possibly mean that my system has been hacked?

These entries mean that some of the ntp servers you're using (probably results returned from lookups of pool.ntp.org) aren't responding reliably. This is not unusual and may be a result of issues with your own network link.

Paul.