(no subject)

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Fri Sep 9 01:46:08 UTC 2005

> I used fedora core 4 for long time but now i lost root password.
>
> anyway to find or recovery my password??

At the Grub boot screen, press 'e' to edit the line (you may need to press
'c' and enter your password. Append a '1' to the kernel like, so it reads
something like the following:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet 1

This will boot you into a single-user mode shell prompt. From there type
'passwd' and hit the Enter/Return key. This will allow you to enter a new
password for your root user. When you're finished, you can either reboot or
run `telinit 5`. Hope that helps!
--
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
/\  vCards, and proprietary formats.
E-Mail: admin at ramshacklestudios.com
GnuPG Public Key ID: 0x87C59026
Encrypted and/or Signed correspondence preffered.
My blog: http://peter.ramshacklestudios.com/blog/