xen breaks DNS for me

   Hello again,
            Thanks to Datto I can now run a xen0 kernel. xenU
seems to have trouble booting still, but I can work on that.
However, a DNS problem has me stumped:
  Shortly after booting xen0, DNS breaks.
  I can still ping the DNS hosts via ip no, or ssh to any IP in the
 world, and /etc/resolv.conf still has the correct info. But 'host'
doesn't work, or any other DNS lookup.

I debugged for a while, and it seems that if I call 'host' twice,
the first is fine, but the second call breaks dns. Or running the
rhn_applet_gui breaks it. However, the '/sbin/route' command will
correctly give the gw name rather than address as many times as you
like, and presumably is does a dns lookup to find it.

 Machines in the 'hosts' file are still correctly translated.

  Can anyone suggest what is wrong? Note, I do not know WHY dns isn't
working.
            Thanks,
               Bill