limit number of process in top with non-interactive mode

Hi

Top command in Linux is allowing to control the number of processes only in the
interactive mode. I want to control the number of processes in non-interactive batch
mode. Is there any other version of top available ? Or is there a way to do so with
the current version itself?

Note: Manual page for top is inappropriate with the command.
      For example, "top 10" reports an improper use of command though it is valid
      according to the man page.

[Actually this is asked by one of my colleague, asking here as I am out of answer :(]

Regards,
Nikhil