Re: Logins

akonstam trinity edu wrote:

I am curious. Could someone give me a concrete example of why it is
more dangerous to log in to a gui interface as root as opposed to
logging in as an ordinary user and su - to root?

Age old policy of least privileges. Users logging as root in a GUI tend to run all the applications as root regardless of whether the application requires it. If you run a application after doing an su -, you can immediately exit the shell as soon as you run the command without interrupting your other tasks, unless you launch a new GUI login merely to run a particular administrative task In fact these users probably should be using sudo to perform such operations.

regards
Rahul