A further ctrl-alt-backspace mystery.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Sep 10 12:54:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:37:10AM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> In general, a simple change in the BIOS AGP/PCI settings can cause a
> stable machine to go wild.
> Can you post the machine hardware configuration?
> BTW, "DontZap" "False" is the default. You can delete it altogether.
>
> Gilboa
Two things.. What kinds of things do you need to know about the
hardware configuration. We are having the same problems on at least
three different hardware configurations and two machines that are
exactly the same hardware and (as far as we can tell) exactly the same
software configuration act differently. That is what makes this all so
infuriating and mysterious.

I know "DontZap" "False" false is the default but since the same
hardware acts differently ion different physical machines
we did not want to depend on defaults.

> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:03 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > We started out with the realization that ctrl-alt-backspace would not
> > work on our FC4 lab machines to restart the X server.
> >
> > Research led us to inset the following clause in the xorg.conf to
> > disable this key sequence altogether:
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >         Option "DontZap" "true"
> > 	EndSection
> >
> > Logic then led us to wonder if the clause:
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >         Option "DontZap" "false"
> > 	EndSection
> >
> > would allow ctrl-alt-backspace to operate as it should. The answer we
> > found was sometimes. In several cases two machines with identical
> > hardware and identical software would have different behavior. One of
> > the pair would work and the other would go into a crazy state where
> > rebooting became necessary.
> >
> > Does anyone have any further wisdom of this matter that they are
> > willing to share?
> >
> > --

> > Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to anger.
> > Aaron Konstam
> > Computer Science
> > Trinity University
> > telephone: (210)-999-7484

Space: the final frontier.  These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life
and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.
		-- Captain James T. Kirk
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University