To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list redhat com>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade 2.6.13

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 17:44 +0200, Cédric MARCOUX wrote:

I "simply" want to upgrade 2.6.13 on my FC4 (398)
The reason is that I have saw that this kernel will make my Hauppauge
WinTC PCI work (model 747) on several forum.

The problem is that I really don't know how to do this???
I know that I have to download the new kernel on kernel.org and make a
symbolic link to /sur/src/linux
After that, I don't know how to do.

Is there some howto or an easy way to do that? Is this recommended?

It's pretty easy to do. Assuming you download the gz from kernel.org, do

cd /usr/src
tar zxvf linux-2.6.13.tar.gz

You can then

ln -s linux-2.6.13 linux

if you wish. Then copy your .config file from your fedora kernel-devel
tree to /usr/src/linux, and do

make oldconfig

and answer the questions about the new parameters. You can probably just
take the default answers, but you might want to use 1000 Hz rather than
the new default of 250 Hz for the timer rate. Now you can do

make menuconfig

to find and enable your Hauppage options. I generally edit the .config
by hand, and change CONFIG_LOCALVERSION to be something unique and
meaningful to me, e.g. "-bwp", but you don't have to. Then do a

make clean
make

Then su into root, or use sudo, or whatever, and

make modules_install
make install

and you're done. Check /boot to make sure the images were copied there,
and check /boot/grub/grub.conf to make sure there are menu selections
for your new kernel. Boot into grub, select your new kernel, and boot
it. If you have any problems, just reboot and select your fedora kernel.
Then, assuming your new kernel works properly, you can make any custom
kernel modules you might have like ndiswrapper, etc.

Brad

PS The make stage might take 30+ minutes with all the options and
modules fedora builds, but it's easiest to leave them in unless you know
exactly what you need and don't need.