Change Sendmail Port?

Corey Head coreyhead at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 21:38:22 UTC 2005

--- Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, September 09, 2005 7:36 PM -0700 Corey
> Head
> <coreyhead at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Umm...I meant I would like to change the port that
> users send mail
> > from...i.e. connect to the  server.  Is that not
> possible?  I was
> > thinking port 587 for sending, but does that mean
> every server coming
> > into my server has to know that?  I am running
> into the problem with
> > roving users that have home ISPs that are blocking
> port 25 from their
> > lines.  So, users have to go in and change their
> mail servers when they
> > get home, then change back when back in the
> office.  Does that make a
> > little more sense?
>
> Users should always use 587. 25 is for
> server-to-server.
>
> Use "lsof -i | grep sendmail" to see if your server
> is listening on both
> ports.
OK...the out put of that command gave me:
sendmail  12817    root    3u  IPv4 4777305       TCP
*:submission (LISTEN)

This is when I did what it looks like you're supposed
to do for the .mc file and activate this line:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

I rebuild/restart sendmail and no other server will
talk to mine on port 25.  The .mc file says it will
listen on both.  Is there something else I'm supposed
to activate/deactivate?
Thanks!
Corey